Introduction to Indium Tin Oxide Coatings:
So many things we use daily utilise the unique properties of Indium Tin Oxide Coatings (ITO), from touch screen tech to aircraft windshields, yet, the vast majority of people have never heard of it.
Indium Tin Oxide is used to make transparent conductive coatings. It’s amongst the most universally used transparent conducting oxides because of its electrical conductivity and optical transparency. It can be used as a thin film very easily, increasing the thickness will increase the material conductivity but decrease its transparency.
Indium tin oxide coatings can also be used to make IR-mirrors and FIR-filters because ITO coatings with low surface resistance and high film thickness have a good reflection in the upper infrared wavelength range.
Conductive transparent indium tin oxide coatings can shield electromagnetic fields. Due to the low surface electrical resistances available, many of our ITO coatings are an ideal solution for the construction of EM protection windows that must transmit visible light and shield electromagnetic radio waves.
Typical applications of ITO coated substrates include:
- Electrochromic and electroluminescent displays
- Energy conserving windows
- Field emission displays
- Gas sensors
- Heat reflective coatings
- LCD displays
- Plasma displays
- Touch panels/screens and more
- Aircraft windshields
ITO is designed to meet complicated client-specific requirements, these coatings grant significant benefits that make them the perfect solution to the demands of applications within both industry and research.
The main benefits of Diamond Coatings’ Diamox ITO coatings are their high:
- Optical Transparency – At wavelengths from 525nm to 600nm, 20 ohms/sq. coatings have typical light transmission rates (peak) of 81% on polycarbonates and 87% on glass substrates.
- Electrical conductivity – Sheet resistances start from as little as 2.5 Ohms/sq. (although it should be noted that sheet resistances <10 ohms/sq. can be produced only on glass substrates)
- Shielding Effectiveness – At 1GHz and 1MHz, ITO coatings offer respective shielding effectiveness rates of 26dB and 58dB. Consequently inhibiting, minimising and potentially eliminating ESD, RFI and EMI effects, this serves to improve both the overall performance and reception of electronic devices.
- Hardwearing Durability – Offering good chemical stability and resistance to cracking, crazing and delaminating; flaking, peeling and water (moisture) penetration, ITO coatings show neither evidence of optical degradation nor of reductions in sheet resistances or coating adhesion when tested to MIL STD 48497 (i.e. exposure to salt spray and humidity/thermal cycling).
Oxide-coatings are not recommended for prolonged exposure to temperatures greater than 300°F, or 150°C in oxygen or air atmospheres, which may result in undesired changes in resistivity.
Follow this link to learn more about our DIAMOX Indium tin oxide coatings and view our datasheets: https://diamondcoatings.co.uk/ito-coating/